I. HANNA.- CARPENTER, daughter of Preston and Hannah
Carpenter, born 1743, and died 1820, married Charles Ellet, 1768, of New
II. SAMUEL PRESTON CARPENTER
III.-ELIZABETH CARPENTER, daughter of Preston and Hannah Carpenter, married
Ezra Firth, of Salem County, N. J.
IV. RACHEL CARPENTER, died young.
V. MARY CARPENTER, daughter of Preston and Hannah Carpenter, married Samuel
Tonkin-. She was born 1750, and died 182L
VI--THOMAS CARPENTER, son of Preston and Hannah Carpenter, born 1752. Married
Mary Tonkin, and left Edward, who was born 1776, and married Sarah, daughter
of James Stratton, M.D., of Swedesborough, sister of Ex-Governor Charles C.
Stratton. Edward Carpenter died 1813, and left:
1. Thomas P. Carpenter (died 1876), Counselor at Law, and
ExJustice New Jersey Supreme Court. Married Rebecca, daughter of Dr. Samuel
Hopkins, of Philadelphia. Children: Susan, Mary, Anna S., Thomas P. and
James H. Carpenter.
2. Mary T. Carpenter, married Richard W. Howell, Counselor of Supreme Court,
3. James S. Carpenter, married Camilla Sanderson. Heirs: John T., Sarah S.,
Sophia C., Cornelia M., James E. and Preston, Camilla, Mary H., Richard H.
4. Samuel T. Carpenter, married Frances Champlain, of Connecticut. Heirs:
Samuel C. B. and Frances, Mary, and others (five) by second wife, Emily
5. Edward Carpenter, married Anna Maria Howe. Heirs: Lewis H., Colonel U. S.
A., James E., Sarah C., Mary H., Casper W. and
Thomas P. and Charles C.
S., Henrietta H.
VII-WILLIAM CARPENTER, son of Preston and Hannah Carpenter,
born 1754, died 1837. Married, first, Elizabeth Wyatt (born 1764, died 1790).
Their children were: 1. Mary Wyatt, born 1783, died 1836. (She married James
Hunt, of Penna., and left two sons, John and William, and daughters, Mary,
Naomi and Hannah.) 2. Hannah, born 1785, died young.
William Carpenter married secondly, 1801, Mary Redman, born 1779, and died
1846. Their heirs:
1. William, married first, Hannah Scull, and secondly Phebe
2. John Redman, unmarried. He was a young man of unusual talents, and at the
time of his death (1833) Cashier of the Branch Bank of the United States, at
Buffalo, N. Y.
3. Rachel R., married Charles Sheppard. Heirs: William C. (who: married
Hannah E. Tomes), and John R. C.
4. Hannah, died young.
5. Samuel Preston Carpenter, married Hannah, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah
W. Acton. Heirs: John Redman Carpenter (married Mary C., daughter of Joseph
B. Thompson.) (Heirs: Preston and Elizabeth.) Sarah Wyatt (married Richard
H. Reeves). (Heirs: Augustus, Hannah, Mary and Alice.) Samuel Preston, Jr.
(married Rebecca Bassett). (Heir: Benjamin B.) William Samuel P. Carpenter,
married secondly, Sarah Sheppard.
VIII.-Margaret Carpenter, daughter of Preston and Hannah
Carpenter, married James M. Woodnutt, of Salem County, N. J.
IX. -JOHN CARPENTER, died young.
X.-MARTHA CARPENTER, daughter of Preston and Hannah Carpenter,
married Joseph Reeves, of Salem County, N. J. Heirs: Samuel, Milicent, Joseph
and Mary. (Samuel married Achsah Stratten, Milicent married Jos. Owens.)