John Hooke Genealogy
Children of John Hooke (son of
John Hankey Hooke)
and Elizabeth Linton. Issue, three sons and two daughters. Only two of latter
given below, others named Eliza, Jane and Linton.
(1) Mary Anne Hooke, b. July 28, 1821; d. Oct. 17, 1913 in Australia; in. Thomas
Grice. Issue: Emma (dead) and Thomas living in Melbourne, Australia.
(2) John Hooke, b. Dec. 12, 1822; d. Dec. 27, 1855; m. Mary Philbean Saunders,
b. 1824; d. 1869. Paper manufacturer of Flint and Denbighshire, Wales. Buried at
Wrexham. Of issue, five sons:
(1) William Saunders;
The first four married, and had several issue. Edwin died in infancy.
(3) Emma B. Hooke, b. 1824; d. 1834
(4) Thomas B. Hooke, b. Feb. 15, 1827; d. Dec. 27, 1906; in. Hannah, dau. of
Thomas Whittington. Merchant in London. Had issue, several children.
(5) Edward Hooke, b. at Afon Wen, Flintshire, W. Wales, May 8, 1829; d. Apr. 17,
1866; buried at Woodchurch, County Chester. Wholesale paper dealer in Liverpool.
M. July 24, 1855, Fanny, youngest dau. of William Pitt of Oxton, b. Feb. 11,
1838; d. in Glasgow, 1903. She m., secondly, William Pritchard in 1867. Issue:
(1) Edward William Hooke, C.P.A., b. July 10, 1858, at Rose
Voile, Oxton, County Chester. Educated at Liverpool College, England Came to
U. S. A. and became American Citizen July 13, 1893. Attended Univ. of N. Y.,
where he graduated, Dec. 16, 1896. Member of American Society of Certified
Public Accountants. M. Eulalia D. Watson (nee Howland), dau. of Edgar Howland
of Lake Hill, Ulster Co., N. Y. Issue: Edgar Mortimer Hooke, born Apr. 4,
1903, at Lake Hill, N. Y.
(2) Fanny Elizabeth Hooke, b. May 26, 1856; d. July 28, 1914; m. William F.
Somerville, actuary of Liverpool, London, and Globe Insurance Company, b.
1859; both buried at Oxton, County Chester. Issue:
(1) William Frank Somerville, now residing in Chicago, Ill.;
(2) Henry Somerville, sergeant in 13th London Regiment. Killed in action
(3) Jack Somerville, d. at age of 22.
(3) Thomas Edwin Hooke, d. 1872.