Mary Davis Hook Genealogy
Mary Davis Hook (daughter of
Daniel and Sarah Burgess Hook
and granddaughter of James Hook),
b. 1793 d. before 1836; m. 1816; confirmed Apr. 13, 1919; Patrick McGill, Jr.,
b. Oct. 12, 1790. Marriage was confirmed because events occurred after the first
marriage that led the parishioners to believe that the pastor of St. Mark's
Episcopal Church who m. them in 1816 was an impostor. Patrick McGill was the
grandson of John McGill, and great grandson of the Rev. James McGill who came to
Maryland in an early day and was Rector of Christ Church in what is now Howard
County, Md., for many years.
Children of Mary Davis Hook and her husband Patrick McGill, Jr.:
(1) Edward West McGill, m. Mary White.
(2) Sarah Eleanor McGill, b. Apr. 23, 1818; d. July 1, 1903; m. John Lloyd Belt,
b. Feb. 20, 1819; d. Jan. 25, 1889. They owned Potomac Hills until about 1904
when it became the property of Mr. Hine. Mr. Belt's grandmother was Anna
Campbell, a direct descendant of one of the Dukes of Argyle. Issue, nine, as
(1) Mary Charlotte Belt, m. B. D. Chambers; of issue, B. D. Chambers, Jr., who
is rector at Millwood and Boyce, Va.
(2) Alfred McGill Belt, m. Ariana T. Trail. Both deceased. Was a physician in
(3) John Lloyd Belt, d. when 23, unm.
(4) Ellen Campbell Belt, m, John H. Reich. Both deceased. (5) America McGill
Belt, m. Thomas A. McIlvaine of Delaware.
(6) Annie Oliver Belt, m. L. A. White.
(7) Sarah Virginia Belt, bachelor maid. She is a member of D. A. R
(8) McGill Belt, m. Anne R Barnard. He has been a member of Maryland House of
(9) Julia Belt, bachelor maid. She is a member and historian D. A. R., President
of Dickerson Round Table, President Woman's Auxiliary and President Christ
Church Guild and organist of same church. She is also a member of the United
Daughters of the Confederacy and Past Secretary and Treasurer. Living Rock Hall,
(10) Oliver Belt, killed by accident. Lived, Washington, D. C.
(3) America Hook McGill, m. T. Johnson. No issue.
(4) Eleanora Arabella McGill, m. P. M. West. Issue: Mary Hook West, m. William
Schnauffer, and Dr. Levin West, who m. Elizabeth Hedges; no issue. Both children
living at Brunswick, Md.
(5) Oliver McGill-never married.
(6) Anne Matilda McGill-never married.
(7) Mary Davis Hook McGill-never married.