Nancy Murchison Cook Genealogy
184 Nancy Murchison Cook, dau. of
Martin Cook, b. July 27, 1836, in Wayne
County, Tennessee. She m. (1) January 21, 1868, Benjamin Stansbury Hardin, b.
January 14, 1831; they lived near a big spring on Eagle Creek about four miles
South of Clifton. This place was later (1950) owned by
William Edd Moore.
Benjamin was a first lieutenant in the 9th Tenn. Cavalry which was mustered into
the Confederate Service at Waynesboro, Tenn., August, 1862, (H. T., p.
773). He d. March 11, 1881. She m. (2) Sol S. Hudiburg. They lived near Olive
Hill. She d. October 27, 1916, and was buried beside her first husband in the
Shady Grove Church Cemetery on Hardin's Creek.
Benjamin Stansbury Hardin was a son of Amos Hardin who was b. December 18, 1802,
d. February 14, 1880, and a descendent of Col. Joseph Hardin for whom Hardin
County, Tennessee was named. Col. Joseph Hardin was b. near Richmond, Virginia,
and d., probably in Roane County, Tennessee. He settled "Hardin's Valley" in
Knox County, Tennessee. During the Revolutionary War, he and his brothers, John
and Benjamin, and a brother-in-law, Frederick Hambright, were living in Lincoln
County, N. C. On July 26, 1775, Joseph and Benjamin Hardin and Frederick
Hambright were signers of the Tryon Declaration of Independence.
According to Worth S. Ray, in his book, "Tennessee Cousins," Col. Joseph Hardin
came with his surveyors from Union County, Tennessee,, in 1815, and in 1816
located his military claim of 2000 acres, with grants of 1000 acres for each of
his sons, along the banks of the Tennessee River in what is now Hardin County.
His sons are listed as James, Gibson, Amos, Benjamin, Robert, and John (who was
killed by the Indians near Lookout Mountain, Tennessee). He also had a daughter
Margaret who m. Minnian Steel.
In 1817 the Hardin boys, with several other families, left Roane County
Tennessee for their new claims. One party came by water and landed at the mouth
of Hardin's Creek. They settled on the east side of the Tennessee River opposite
where the town of Cerro Gordo now stands. The other party came over land and
settled on the head waters of Hardin's Creek. The Hardins were Whigs and were
active in politics. After Hardin County was established, November 13, 1819, the
first session of the Hardin County Court met at the home of Col. James Hardin,
January 3, 1820, and he was elected county court clerk. Wayne County was
established about the same time and the first session of the Wayne County Court
met at the home of Benjamin Hardin, who was then living on Factory Fork, a
tributary of Shoal Creek, at the crossing of the Natchez Trace. Benjamin Hardin
was elected the first sheriff of Wayne County. He was also one of the first
justices of the county. After the death of Col. James Hardin his widow and
children moved to Kentucky.
While Worth S. Ray states that Hardin County was named for Col. Joseph Hardin it
is stated in Goodspeed's History of Tennessee that the county was named for
Col. John Hardin of Revolutionary fame. As noted above Col. John was a son of
Children (By 1st husband)
201. John Robert
Hardin, b. November 7, 1868.
202. Stansberry Lee Hardin, b. December 17, 1873.
203. Rhoda Catherine Hardin, b. March 12, 1871.
204. Mary Nina Hardin, b. December 12, 1876.
205. Bennie Elizabeth
Hardin, b. March 27, 1881.