Josiah Jones Genealogy
23. Josiah4 Jones (Lieut.
Hugh1) was born in
Wilmington, Massachusetts, March 23, 1731, and about 1752, settled on a farm
near Foster's pond in South Andover, where he resided some twenty years. He sold
most of his property July 8, 1770 to Benjamin Marshal of Ipswich and later
removed to Londonderry, New Hampshire, where he died December 17, 1803. He was
on the roll of Captain John Abbot's company of Andover militia April 18, 1757 at
the age of twenty-six years. (Mass. Archives, Vol. XCV, page 283)
He was one of the New Hampshire grants. His will, dated April 16, probated
August 18, 1776, mentions wife, Lovey; sons, Josiah, Jesse and who received
their portion; sons, Jonathan and Amos to whom was left all real estate; sons
Cadwallader, Ford and Davis McGregor; daughters, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Lydia and
Hannah Jones and Polly Sheldon. He married first, in Wilmington, November 27,
1753, Mary, born September 17, 1732, daughter of James and Mary Trefery of
Marblehead. She died about 1762. He married second, April 29, 1764, Rebecca,
born January 5, 1745, daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Stewart) Jenkins of
Andover, and third, August 10, 1786, Mrs. Lovey Ronald, who survived him and she
died September 13, 1822, age seventy-five years. They had fourteen children.
CHILDREN BY FIRST MARRIAGE
1. Josiah, born September 5, 1755, died August 16,
1796. Married Sarah, born November 28, 1759, daughter of Ezra and Sarah (Long)
Annis of Andover.
2 Jesse, born October 27, 1757. Settled in Londonderry, New Hampshire. Served
in the Revolutionary War in Capt. Daniel Runnell's company, also in the
Massachusetts line from October 22, to November 23, 1779, in Capt. Joshua
CHILDREN BY SECOND MARRIAGE
3. Rebecca, born February 7, 1765, died May 1806. Married
Deacon Joshua Goodwin of Rowley, Massachusetts and Londonderry, New Hampshire.
They had three children.
4. Jonathan, born April 11, 1766, died 1834. Married Mehitable Goodwin. They
lived in Londonderry, New Hampshire and had ten children.
5. Mary, born January 20, 1768. Married October 20, 1785 Zachariah Sheldon of
6. Elizabeth, born February 28, 1770, died March 1, 1844.
7. Lieut Amos, born February 22, 1773, died May 10, 1834. Married Rebecca
Diamond, March 1, 1798. They had eleven children.
8. Cadwallader, born February 7, 1775. Married, May 8, 1798, Anna Eaton of
9. Son, born and died October 8, 1779.
10. Lydia, born October 6, 1780, died July 14, 1858. Married January 13, 1803,
Capt. Joseph Holt of Andover. They had six children.
11. Hannah, born April 27, 1783. Married Col. Phieneas Stone of Boxborough,
Massachusetts. He was a merchant. She died December 17, 1867. They had eight
CHILDREN BY THIRD MARRIAGE
12. David, born April 10, 1787.
13. Caleb, born August 23, 1789.
14. Martha, born April 30, 1791.